Thursday, July 10, 2008

Jessica Sutton



The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
Dare I call this my favourite book? Regardless, it’s one of very few I have re-read and happens to be the 2001 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction winner. The story is set in 1930s New York, following the lives of two young Jewish cousins as they create a comic book empire. A beautiful plot, at times heartbreaking, a must read for comic book fans, artists and lovers of contemporary American fiction.

Print Gocco
Gocco (プリントゴッコ, Purinto Gokko, "Print Gocco") is a self-contained compact color printing system invented in 1977 by Noboru Hayama. Gocco became immensely popular in Japan and it is estimated that one-third of Japanese households own a Print Gocco system.’ - www.wikipedia.org.
I use mine to print business cards, postcards, and tags for my business, but you can use it for pretty much anything. It’s my own personal screenprinting lab in a box and I love it and you can’t have it.

Copic Markers
Another Japanese favourite of mine. They are my alternative to the now defunct Pantone colour system and come in 322 colours. They’ll cost you though, I can only afford one a week. Really great for design work, comics or just colouring in. The reason they are awesome is they don’t go all streaky and gross on paper, rather making a nice area of flat colour.

Pipsqueak Cider by Little Creatures Brewery
I really just love cider, it’s like a grown up apple juice. Pipsqueak is made from locally sourced apples, and I first noticed it because of the name. Very light and not too sweet. Best of all, no one will know you’re not drinking beer.

Papercraft
I am really excited about trend in design towards a more cut paper aesthetic. Design is moving away from being all done on computer and now incorporates paper, 3D collage and sculpture. I have been coveting a book called TACTILE – High Touch Visuals, which is all about this change. I’ve started designing without using Photoshop at all!

Jessica Sutton came up with Crafternoon one cold Canadian winter (are there any other kind?) in 2005, when the Sydneysider was whiling away in Northern Alberta. First off there were sock puppets, vinyl pencil cases and wallets, now Crafternoon’s ever-growing menagerie includes a large range of none-too-rowdy creatures and colourful things. Like those Canadian snowflakes, no two items are the same. Most are made of recycled fabric and pre-loved clothing.

Jessica has also teamed up with Sydney fashion retailer Incu, the Red Door Gallery in Edinburgh, UK, and is currently working on an exciting exhibition for a new gallery opening in Brooklyn, NY, later this year. I hope it involves cool markers and paper art.

No comments: